In 1896, a lease was signed with Seth Ward to use part of his property as a golf course for $1 a year plus taxes. The property included what is now Loose Park and was used as the Kansas City Country Club until 1927. J. C. Nichols bought the land around the Kansas City Country Club in 1907 to form the Country Club District.
In 1926, Ella Loose bought the property from Hugh Ward (son of Seth Ward) so that it could be made into a park in honor of her husband, Jacob Loose. She donated Loose Park to Kansas City in 1927 and the Kansas City Country Club moved to Mission Hills, Kansas..
The rose garden in Loose Park was founded 1931, when a group of citizens under the leadership of Laura Conyers Smith established the Kansas City Rose Society. The first garden contained 120 rose plants. Today, there are about 4,000 roses of nearly 168 varieties in the 1.5 acre garden. The garden underwent a $400,000 renovation project in 2008.
Sources http://kcparks.org/park/loose-park/ “Restoring a Garden Treasure.” The Kansas City Star, November 12, 2008, City 1.